Honestly, I feel like one thing the world can't get enough of is good breakfasts. Not to mention good breakfast ideas. I mean, right? Yeah, it's the most important meal of the day and all but also I often find it to be the most satifisfying in lots of ways. Like when I have a really awesome breakfast, it sets the tone for my whole day. Like when I sit down to do my work I'm better at it: I type faster, I think quicker. I even feel like a good breakfast has the power to make me be a little nicer and more patient. Even more organized! Weird and probably wisful thinking, but breakfast is powerful, y'all.
None of these ideas are earth-shatteringly creative or brilliant; I'm not saying I'm a breakfast guru or anything. But here's a bunch of the breakfasts that make me feel great. They're healthy and they might be a welcome addition to your butter-and-toast, bagel-and-cream-cheese, milk-and-cereal-routine. Some are vegan, some are gluten-free, and all are relatively easy.
Breakfasts In Bowls
1. Chia Seed Pudding: All you need is chia seeds, milk of your choice and then some stuff to top the pudding with. My favorite way to make it is with coconut milk and topped with sliced mangoes. Mix the seeds and milk, leave it in the fridge overnight, and done.
2. Overnight Oats: The possibilities for this are endless, really, as you can jazz up the overnight oats with yogurt, jam, nut butter, fruit, nuts, seeds...Here's one version (I never make mine in a jar though, because it's just too Pinterest-y).
3. Quinoa as Oatmeal: Here's my recipe for this! I don't eat it often, but when I do, it's good.
4. Breakfast Kasha: I made one with apple, if you'll remember, but any fruit would be great.
5. Eggs Baked In Tomatoes: Cute, easy and healthy. Here's a recipe.
6. Fried or Poached Egg on a Bed of Greens: Saute or steam greens of your choice and put an egg on it! Eat with toast on the side.
7. Oatmeal With A Fried Egg: This sounds kind of weird, I know, but try it with salsa and a few avocado slices.
8. Breakfast Tostada: Char or toast a tortilla and serve it with some sauteed greens, an egg cooked any style, and salsa.
9. Microwave Omelet: I know a lot of people are wary of using a microwave to cook rather than heat things up, but I ate this breakfast all the time in grad school. Recipe here at my old food blog.
10. Tortilla Egg In The Hole: When I was a kid, I called egg-in-the-hole "the egg thing." Cut a circle out of a tortilla, fry an egg inside and top with salsa.
Breakfasts with Breads
11. Avocado Toast: Toast some bread, mash up half an avocado, spread it on, sprinkle salt and pepper. Add sliced tomatoes or red pepper flakes if you're feeling crazy.
12. Nut Butter Toast With Banana: Spread your choice of nut butter on toast and top with sliced banana. Ta-da! So easy I can't even believe I typed it out.
13. Morning "Pizza:" Toast spread with ricotta (or farmer's cheese, my new obsession!) and topped with sliced tomatoes, salt, pepper and a little bit of olive oil.
14. Baked Oatmeal: Baked oatmeal is so good in winter. I usually make it the night before and eat it for a few days as breakfasts and snacks. I made a pumpkin apple one this fall!
15. Baked Quinoa: This is very similar to baked oatmeal. Here's a recipe that I really like.
16. Breakfast Wrap: If you're a gluten eater, get yourself a whole-wheat tortilla, spread some nut butter, coconut butter or cream cheese on it and then put in some fruit, granola, nuts, seeds. Roll it up or eat it like a taco.
17. Smoothies: I mean, duh. SMOOTHIES FOR BREAKFAST. But sometimes I forget about them. Is that just me? My go-to is usually a handful of spinach, almond milk, a banana, and cinnamon. But lately I've been making them with yogurt or kefir, almond butter and sometimes oats and of course, all different fruits.
18. Tofu Scramble: I ate tofu scrambles a lot during my vegan challenge. It's a good way to get protein without eating eggs, obviously, and can be spruced up with different vegetables, hot sauce, and more.
What are your healthy breakfast ideas that other people probably already know about but that you'd like to share anyway? Please do so in the comments!